Pilstyes is a Grade II listed village house believed to have been built around 1575. It is arranged as a main house with an attached cottage, although from the front of the house it appears to be one house.
Roy and Carol let one double bedded room with an ensuite shower room and one twin bedded room with ensuite bathroom on a bed and breakfast basis in the main house. They let the cottage as a self-catering holiday home although if it is available they do let the Elizabethan 4-poster bed room on a bed and breakfast basis too.
Roy and Carol Pontifex moved here in 1998 and have painstakingly taken off layers of paint, removed hardboard and wallpaper from lovely mellow beams and revealed all its 16th century splendour. Pilstyes has painted brick walls on a tall sandstone plinth, partly tile hung with a roof of mellow Sussex clay tiles and Horsham stone slab slates. It combines many period features such as exposed wall and ceiling oak timbers and leaded light windows to the front elevation. In the winter there is always a fire in the sitting room hearth and in the summer our garden is a delight as you will see from the photos.
"It is the quintessential English cottage that everyone dreams about".